The earliest mention of the Rosary of the Five Wounds is found in a document dating back to 1821. The Platea of Saints John and Paul, at Rome, relates "The Most Rev. Fr. General, acting in accordance with our spirit to promote devotion to the Passion of Our Lord, obtained permission to bless the Chaplet of the Five Wounds, at the same time enriching it with indulgences." This chaplet was first approved by a decree of Pius VII dated Jan. 22, 1822.

The Little Chaplet of the Holy Face

The purpose of the Crown or Chaplet of the Holy Face is to honor the Five Wounds of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and to ask of God the triumph of His holy Church. This chaplet is composed of a cross and thirty-nine beads; of these six are large beads and thirty-three small ones; to this chaplet is attached a medal of the Holy Face.